Friday, November 07, 2008
One more thought that I have is how one person can make a difference, many times I have heard "I'm not voting, my vote doesn't really count" This election I learned that one vote may not mean much in the 128 million votes cast but one voter can influence many. I went from an uneducated, can't stand anything the Democratic candidates are promising, to almost giving my vote to Obama, this is mainly thanks to some great posts by my cousin Brian and a couple friends at work. One other example is the huge battle in California over the Proposition 8. As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints I am glad that it was passed, watching the rallies being held the last couple of days saddens me especially when I saw this picture today:
I know several people that either battle with homosexuality or live the homosexual lifestyle, they are aware of how I treat them and hopefully appreciate that I try and treat them as equal. I am amazed at how the gays and lesbians are turning this into a war against a religion. I do not feel that this was bought by anyone, amazingly the opposition raised over $37 million versus $35 million for it. I think that amount of money to be raised is amazing, I thought we were in economic trials? I feel close to this though because I was surprised when the church was going to ask for help in making phone calls to support the proposition, many people I know were willing to sacrifice time to do so, but plans were scrapped because Californians stepped up and made calls themselves. Many of my gay friends pride themselves on being different, my novel idea is why don't they set up something and then try and tell us "married" people how much better their lives are. I hope that something gets peacefully resolved and sooner the better.
Tuesday, September 30, 2008
I saw this on my cousin's blog and since I wanted to kill fifteen minutes I stole it and used it too.
List of 99 things - Have you done . . . ?
1. Started your own blog (several times, thanks for reading)
2. Slept under the stars (hardly a better place to sleep)
3. Played in a band (does Rockband count?)
5. Watched a meteor shower (seen a couple without even planning on it)
6. Given more than you can afford to charity
7. Been to
8. Climbed a mountain
9. Held a praying mantis
10. Sang a solo
11. Bungee jumped (I jumped out of a boat once and my swimsuit got caught until it ripped does that count?)
13. Watched a lightning storm at sea
14. Taught yourself an art from scratch
15. Adopted a child
16. Had food poisoning (good times, good times)
17. Walked to the top of the Statue of
18. Grown your own vegetables (we got two tomatoes off the plant on our condo balcony this summer)
19. Seen the Mona Lisa in
20. Slept on an overnight train
21. Had a pillow fight
22. Hitch hiked
23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill (about time to do it again)
24. Built a snow fort
25. Held a lamb
26. Gone skinny dipping (of course, almost got caught a couple times too)
27. Run a
28. Ridden in a gondola in
29. Seen a total eclipse
30. Watched a sunrise or sunset (both in the same night, several times)
31. Hit a home run
32. Been on a cruise (One of the best ways to vacation, can’t wait until December)
34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors (Unfortunately couldn’t list who)
35. Seen an Amish community
36. Taught yourself a new language (Did I really teach myself Russian?)
37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied (If I can pay for lunch I’m happy)
38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person
39. Gone rock climbing
40. Seen Michelangelo’s David (why does that sound dirty?)
41. Sung karaoke (Becky want to play singstar?
43. Bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant (I think it is the coolest thing to do, and just as cool to have it done for you)
45. Walked on a beach by moonlight
46. Been transported in an ambulance (This should have been yes if my parents weren’t such speedy drivers)
47. Had your portrait painted
48. Gone deep sea fishing
49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person
50. Been to the top of the
51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling
52. Kissed in the rain (but who am I to tell?)
53. Played in the mud
54. Gone to a drive-in theater
55. Been in a movie
56. Visited the
57. Started a business
58. Taken a martial arts class
60. Served at a soup kitchen
61. Sold Girl Scout Cookies (I’m counting bribing my wife to do a couple chores for a couple cookies as this one)
62. Gone whale watching (I know that there aren’t whales in
63. Got flowers for no reason (I just love my wife sometimes)
64. Donated blood, platelets or plasma (I just donated blood yesterday, aren’t I special, and twice a week for most of college I “sold” my plasma for a little extra gas money, plus the girls were cute too.)
65. Gone sky diving
66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp (Still not certain it was a concentration camp but from what I saw in
67. Bounced a check
68. Flown in a helicopter
69. Saved a favorite childhood toy (anyone surprised that they are tractors?)
70. Visited the
71. Eaten Caviar
72. Pieced a quilt
73. Stood in
74. Toured the
75. Been fired from a job
76. Seen the Changing of the Guards in
77. Broken a bone
78. Been on a speeding motorcycle
79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person (in seventh grade I got to see the north side with my mom and then the south side with my dad a week later, two separate trips)
80. Published a book
81. Visited the
82. Bought a brand new car (I buy used but they are always brand new to me, even the 1980 Ford I first bought when I was 16)
83. Walked in
84. Had your picture in the newspaper (most notably riding my bike through flood waters as a kid)
85. Read the entire Bible (okay I skipped a few of the “so and so begat so and so”
86. Visited the White House
87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating
88. Had chickenpox
89. Saved someone’s life
90. Sat on a jury
91. Met someone famous
92. Joined a book club
93. Lost a loved one
94. Had a baby
95. Seen the
96. Swam in the
97. Been involved in a law suit
98. Owned a cell phone
99. Been stung by a bee
Copy this list and bold the things YOU have done. Then post it on your blog!
Monday, September 22, 2008
Tuesday, September 16, 2008
Thursday, September 11, 2008
Sunday, September 07, 2008
After our movie we headed down to Henderson to watch our beloved Aggies get beat in football, reasons to celebrate:
1.) It is football and not basketball
2.) Rebel fans still felt it necessary to "taunt" us and that they were up by two scores over the third to last team in the nation, it was quite easy to take the beating, of course in the second half we packed up and moved over to the Aggie section to cheer for all the first downs (what were there like a total of five?)
3.) In-N-Out double-double with animal style fries after the game.
Those three items made the night victorious for me, oh and we beat the spread to make my coworkers happy too.
As you can see the stands were packed full.
Sunday after church we headed down to the Palazzo Resort/Casino/Paradise. We lucked out on a deal through Priceline and then got even luckier to make it onto the 37th floor, with a view out onto the Strip and overlooking the Pool, I couldn't have requested a better spot. The suite was huge, as it was more than half of our condo, with two TVs in the main area and a little TV in the bathroom.
Later that night we enjoyed dinner at Dos Caminos, tasty guacamole, and some amazing steak and seared tuna, topped off with some delicious Pistachio Banana Crepes. We walked around the shops and went through all of Barney's New York, we both would've had a hard time finding anything we liked in there. We wanted to enjoy the Suite some more so we headed upstairs, the staff had turned down the sheets, turned on a little music and put chocolates on the pillows.
On Monday we had breakfast at one of our favorites: The Omelet House and then Becky went with a neighbor to get a massage and kiss the holiday goodbye.
Becky said that I had to post this gross picture, not only is it bad because it is my feet but notice the size of my right foot, let's just say that dress socks pressing on an infection on the back of your leg does not allow for sufficient drainage, therefore my foot looked like a watermelon and my ankle dissappeared for a couple of days. Becky knows it's bad when I tell her about it and say I might have to go to the Doctor, this was the day I finally admitted I better go get it checked out.
Sunday, August 31, 2008
Saturday, August 09, 2008
Saturday, July 19, 2008
Had a wonderful Friday night, went and saw the Dark Knight, although Becky was not going to go see such a scary movie. Somebody either tell her that was a terrible decision or tell me that she made a good choice. Greg, Tom, and I met up with Dane and Cassie, and one of Dane's friends for a showing at the IMAX theater. We got there at 6 for the 7 show and the line was already over 100 people long, so we sat on the sixth row, it wasn't bad since I sat on the fourth row for Ironman. The great thing about going to the IMAX and paying extra is they only show previews for the IMAX movies so they are limited, in fact we only saw two, then the adventure began. I was amazed at every aspect of the movie. I thought that it is something I will have to go and see again to really get everything that happened. I highly recommend it, unless you are scared of the Joker and don't think that Batman will prevail, no spoilers, I won't say if he does, or doesn't. After the show we introduced Tom to Capriotti's Sandwiches, I thought it was a shame that he had never been after three months of living in Vegas, and then we all went and played a wild game of BINGO, we thought our odds were good, since there were only about 50 people there but I think that the guy selling the cards was very unlucky so we didn't win at all. It was a great night and a very good movie.
Thursday, July 17, 2008
"SKY POINTE DRIVE
Man shot, killed in northwest LV store
A man was shot and killed Wednesday morning at a northwest Las Vegas convenience store.
Las Vegas police spokesman Bill Cassell said officers were called to the scene about 8 a.m. by people reporting shots fired in the Guru Express, 6698 Sky Pointe Drive, at Cimarron Road.
When officers arrived, they found the body of a man who had been shot, possibly multiple times, Cassell said.
The victim's name wasn't available.
Anybody with information on the crime is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 385-5555."
Luckily I wasn't buying a soda yesterday morning, I knew the fridge in my cubicle would be a good idea. It may have saved my life.
Saturday, July 12, 2008
Friday, July 04, 2008
I'd be glad to take on anyone with my old trusty SS 100, of course that would only be able to happen if I didn't pump it too hard and break the handle. Hope everyone has a Happy 4th of July and stay safe with the fireworks.
Monday, June 23, 2008
Sunday, June 22, 2008
Random places like this make me really miss Utah, then the mosquitoes started attacking us and that thought went away.
After the wedding we continued out to the Great Salt Lake and found this unique structure, part of a bird and wildlife refuge, it has a nice one mile boardwalk around the mosquito infested and bird populated swampland that is the GSL.
After storing them in the garage for 1 1/2 years we finally built the shelf in laundry room and a shoe shelf in the closet, the shoe shelf didn't look as organized as this one so it didn't make the cut.